|ANGELO MESSEDAGLIA'S LIFE AND WORKS|
the Secondary school Angelo Messedaglia is named after the famous Italian Law and Economics scholar born in Villafranca, near Verona, in 1820.
After having attended a 'liceo' (High School) specializing in classical studies in Verona, Angelo Messedaglia graduated in Law in Pavia (near Milan) where he also taught for some time. His University career as a Professor continued in Padua and in Rome.
After the liberation of Veneto in 1866, Angelo Messedaglia supported the Italian Resurgence ideas (Il Risorgimento), by denouncing the violently repressive behaviour of the Austrians towards the Veronese people.
During the period from 1866 to 1882 he was in Rome and he was a Member of the Italian Parliament. Marco Minghetti and Quintino Sella were best friends of his and together they shared the same principles and ideas on the political programme of the right-wing Party.
During those years he was offered the position of Prime Minister because of his well-known reputation and expertise regarding Law, fiscal and statistical studies. However, he declined the appointment due to his reserved character and wish to devote himself to his studies.
Angelo Messedaglia's particular characteristic was the variety and range of cultural subjects he dealt with. He was also knowledgeable about classical and modern languages. In particular he analyzed Homer and translated into Italian some poems by the American poet H.W. Longfellow.
His many friends included intellectuals such as Aleardo Aleardi, Caterina Bon Brenzoni, Giosue' Carducci and Antonio Fogazzaro.
After fifty years of a brilliant career as a Professor at Rome University, in 1859 Angelo Messedaglia was presented a book signed by some of the most eminent scholars of international reputation in Economics and Statistics and by some famous Italian statesmen. He was given this gift by his colleagues and students.
Angelo Messedaglia was also a Member of various Italian and foreign Academies and the President of the 'Accademia dei Lincei' (the oldest Academy of Science in the world) until the day of his death on April 5th 1901. He died in Rome.
On the first anniversary of his death the people of Villafranca honoured their fellow citizen Angelo Messedaglia by placing a stone plaque on the front face of his native house which is now the popular Cafè Fantoni in Corso Vittorio Emanuele.
A remarkable amount of documents regarding Angelo Messedaglia's works can be found at the Public Library in Verona. His nephew, Luigi Messedaglia, donated them to the people of Verona.
|THE HISTORY OF
SCIENTIFIC SECONDARY STATE SCHOOL
The school was founded on 6th May 1923 thanks to a Royal Decree issued after the approval of the Education Reform Act by Giovanni Gentile, a famous Italian philosopher and the then Minister of Education.
As a result of this Act two new types of Secondary State School were created: the already existing Grammar School became the Modern Lycèe (High School), the Technical Secondary School became the Scientific Lycèe.
The school was then named after Angelo Messedaglia, a well-known economist and politician from Verona. Until the 1960s 'Angelo Messedaglia' Lycèe was the only Scientific Secondary State School in Verona and its surrounding area. For decades this school has been educating the future generations of thinkers and professionals of Verona.
At the beginning of the 1970s, due to a period of school population growth, new Scientific Secondary Schools were opened. Initially these schools were branches of "Angelo Messedaglia". Later they became independent Lycèes of the city of Verona.
"Angelo Messedaglia" Lycèe was originally the Technical Secondary State School 'A.M.Lorgna' focused on Mathematics and Physics. Initially both schools had to share the same building located in the city centre, in Via Fratta.
In 1953, "Angelo Messedaglia" Lycèe moved to Ridolfi-Da Lisca Palace in Stradone Maffei situated in the city centre.
Since 1st September 2008 the new and main school complex can be found in Via Bertoni, where the 'Istituti Civici Barbarani' used to be. The 'Istituti Civici Barbarani' was a large building used as an orphanage and as a boarding and professional school for teenagers until 1978. Later the same building was completely renovated. Large internal spaces and laboratories were constructed. The school was then equipped with the latest modern educational resources and facilitating information technology.
The present impressive school-building has now a Chemistry Laboratory, a Physics Laboratory, an Information Technology Room, a Language Laboratory, an Art Room, two Gymnasiums, an Assembly Room, a Multimedia Room and two Libraries, one of which has a vast collection of old, valuable books and the other of more contemporary material. There is also an exhibition where a set of very old scientific Physics instruments are displayed.
|THE SCHOOL BUILDING|
|THE ASSEMBLY ROOM and THE LIBRARY|
|THE COMPUTER ROOM and THE LANGUAGE LABORATORY|
|THE SCIENCE LABORATORY|
|THE CHEMISTRY LABORATORY|
|THE PHYSICS LABORATORY|
|THE OLD PHYSICS INSTRUMENTS|
|WHAT THE SCHOOL OFFERS|
Students are provided a general preparation as a basis for life and work. This preparation includes various cultural fields. The aim and the subsequent methodology focus on the development of the individual. The main objectives bring the acquisition of knowledge of subject contents, the interaction of the various school subjects and the creation of interdisciplinary projects.
It is thanks to this approach that our students obtain a diploma which enables them to pursue their studies in whatever University faculty they want to enrol and to be able to apply for positions in the State sectors.
WEEKLY SCHOOL TIMETABLE FOR THE FIRST, SECOND, THIRD AND FOURTH YEAR COURSES
Class 3F, A.S.20013-2014
Michele Schio, Annalisa Musola, Leonardo Luzi Crivellini,
Camilla Forcellini, Roberta Cordioli, Nicola Turrini.